My group of friends have a wonderful, long-standing tradition of holding mother blessing, or blessingway, ceremonies for each other when we’re pregnant. Our local tradition began in the 1980’s with my own mother’s group of friends and has carried down into the next generation and our childbearing years.
On this page, I’ve brought together all of my previous posts and resources about mother blessings. Here you can find many ideas and resources for blessingways and women’s ceremonies. Enjoy!
- Birth Affirmation Cards
- Partner Affirmation Cards
- Chants and Songs Printable Handout
- Mother Blessings and the Power of Ritual
- Blessingways and the role of ritual
- Ceremonial Bath and Sealing Ceremony
- A birth blessing
- Mother Blessing Quotes
- Blessingway Readings & Chants
- Virtual Blessingway, part 2
- Ceremonial Bathing
- Honoring, Sealing, & Postpartum Care
- New Baby Ritual
- Women’s Retreat Recipe
- If birth were a temple
- Midwife’s Invocation
- Birth Spiral Chakra Blessing
- Birth Labyrinth
- Birth Blessings, Life, and Community
- Blessingway Poem: A Prayer for One Who Comes to Choose This Life
- The Blessingway Connection
- My own Mother Blessing Ceremony
- Poem: Celebrate the Woman Pregnant
- Centering for Birth
- Full moon poem
- Courage reading
- Fear release for birth
- Birth warrior affirmation
- Two birth poems
- Birthing poem
- Lento Tempo
- A Mother’s Nest
- More Readings for Women’s Programs
- Moon Salutation Yoga Series for Blessingway or Women’s Gathering
- The Blessingway Connection
- Poem: Woman & Nature
- Responsive Readings for Women’s Rituals
- Mother Blessing Gifts
- Ceremony Kits
- 12 Ancient Midwives (a powerful post from Rebecca Wright’s blog)
Here is a handout of the chants we often use at mother blessings. It is formatted with the chants in two columns so it can be cut in half to distribute during a ceremony. This link will take you to audio recordings of our women’s circle singing many different songs that are wonderful for many kinds of women’s circles, including mother blessings.
I am the author of a 68 page digital Ritual Recipe Kit that includes detailed instructions for a mother blessing ceremony as well as scripts for several other types of ceremonies for women.
This 68 page digital ritual recipe kit includes general information about planning and facilitating rituals. It includes “ritual recipes” for maiden, mother, and crone ceremonies as well as a bonus new baby naming ritual and a family full moon ritual. Each ritual contains a complete ritual script as well as suggested supplies, an actual recipe relevant to the ritual such as cocoa butter belly balm for a mother blessing, handouts, readings, songs and more.
via Ritual Recipe Kit for Women’s Ceremonies digital by BrigidsGrove.
For women interested in facilitating Red Tent Circles, we offer a bundled collection of resources in a Red Tent Kit.
Restoring Women to Ceremony: The Red Tent Resource Kit, was written exclusively as part of a rich collection of resources for Red Tent Circles. In this collection of essays and ritual resources, you will find complete Red Tent “recipes,” circle leadership basics, moontime musings, and readings, quotes, and poems to help you facilitate a rich, inviting, welcoming, creative space for the women of your community.
We also offer a deep, resource-FULL Red Tent Initiation Program online as well as a Practical Priestessing course.
In 2015, I released a book of earth-based poetry that is full of beautiful readings perfect for women’s programs:
Come join the free Creative Spirit Circle for resources, monthly freebies, courses + mini books, and art announcements.